Sunday, December 1, 2013

Venison Chili

It's cold and rainy outside and deer hunting season has come to an end in my area. Perfect time for a venison chili recipe!

I use to eat venison all the time as a kid. My grandfather and uncles were big into hunting. My mother enjoyed it a bit as well. Even my sister got her first deer when she was 12, which ended up being her only deer. But hey, I think she still deserves bragging rights.

I was never a hunter. Boring if you ask me. I'm more into cooking the beast brought into the kitchen. That's much more fun! Even though I've had my share of venison roasts and such, I realized (after my husband and his friend scored on the field of course) that I had no experience cooking game and no recipes to speak of. My grandma always handled that sort of thing and she passed before letting me in on her secrets.

Lucky for me I have internet access. Spotty internet access because I live out in the boonies and share with my neighbors. But with a little patience and perseverance I was able to dig up a delightfully delicious venison chili recipe. And now, after adapting it to my needs (since I live in the boonies and use what's on hand most days because I don't want to drive to town for just a few items), I can share it with you! Yay internet!

The beautiful thing about chili is its versatility. Throw out what you don't like and throw in what you do. Or just throw in what you have. Just because you live in town doesn't mean you want to run to the store for a few items either, even if it is only 5 minutes down the street. Besides, it's cold and rainy out.

Venison Chili
(or any ground meat you like)

1 lb venison, ground
2 onions, diced (I used sweet walla walla)
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 T jalapeno pepper, chopped
1- 15oz can stewed tomato
1- 15oz can tomato sauce
1 - 8oz can tomato paste
1- 15oz can kidney beans (drained)
1- 15oz can black beans (drained)
2 T ground cumin
2 T chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 C water
1 C frozen corn (optional)

Brown the meat with the onions and peppers in a large frying pan. While that's cooking, put all of the other ingredients except the water and corn into a 4 or 5 quart crock pot, stir, and turn it on low.  

I only have a 4 quart crock pot and it all fits in there.  But I do have to pray to the gods of cookery. Absolutely no worries if you're using a 5 quart.  You'll have plenty of room.

Add the meat mix to the crock and stir. Now add the water. You may have to take pause if you're using that good ol' 4 quart baby. Now stir, put the lid on, and cook on low 5 to 8 hours. I stir it occasionally. Mostly because I like to lift the lid off and get a better whiff. About an hour before you want to eat this vat of deliciousness, add the corn if you have the room and the desire.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment